In a joint intiative Grapevine Group, Lifeline and the Daily Mercury are currently offering FREE safeTALK suicide alertness training to those living in Mackay & Region.
WHY? Because currently there is one death from suicide every 3 to 4 hours and 1 attempt made in Australia every 8 minutes. Suicide is the leading killer of men and women under the age of 44. Currently the Mackay region has a higher than average suicide rate. Read more facts..
Help us make Mackay the most suicide-safe region
We ask you or your organisation to participate in suicide-prevention training that will..
- Increase awareness of suicide and see prevention opportunities which otherwise may be missed;
- Become more alert to clues and communications that someone may be thinking of suicide;
- Learn how to ask about suicide and respond in ways that show understanding and assess risk;
- Work with persons at risk to increase their safety;
- Facilitate links with further help from family, friends and professional helpers as needed.
Attend Grapevine’s Livingworks safeTALK workshops
Focus: Suicide Alertness
Timeframe: 3-3.5 hours
Cost: FREE. Grapevine Group currently sponsors suicide alertness training to those living in Mackay Region.
This program alerts community members to signs that a person may be considering suicide. It acknowledges that while most people at risk of suicide signal their distress & invite help, these intervention opportunities are often overlooked. Participants learn to recognise when someone may have thoughts of suicide & to respond in ways that link them with further suicide intervention help.
It is intended that safeTALK participants will be better prepared to:
- recognise that invitations to help are often overlooked;
- move beyond common tendencies to miss, dismiss and avoid suicide;
- notice and respond to situations in which thoughts of suicide may be present;
- apply basic TALK steps (Tell, Ask, Listen, and KeepSafe);
- connect the person with thoughts of suicide to suicide first aid help and further community resources. Suicide alert community members are better prepared to become a vital link in connecting persons at risk with further help.
Download the safeTALK information
Register in upcoming training
What other suicide-prevention training is available to you or your organisation in the Mackay & Region?
- Livingworks SuicideTALK (1 – 1.5 hours)
- Livingworks ASIST (2 consecutive days)
- Suicide Mythbusters (1 hour)
- Mental Health First Aid (Youth)
- Mental Health First Aid (Adult)
Suicide Intervention & Mental Health Training Providers
Contact The Following Organisations To Register For Upcoming Training:
COURSES: Livingworks safeTALK
Local residents can attend Grapevine’s safeTALK presentations for free.
CONTACT Belinda-Jane | Call 0413 507 683 | Email: email@example.com
Lifeline Mackay – Whitsunday
COURSES: Livingworks safeTALK | Livingworks ASIST & Mythbusters
Local residents can attend Lifeline’s safeTALK and Mythbusters presentations for free.
Learn more about Livingworks ASIST Click here.
CONTACT Dianne Gillespie | Call 4944 2300 | Email
COURSES: Mental Health First Aid (Youth) & Mental Health First Aid (Adult)
CONTACT: Kerry Clarkson | Service Integration Co-ordinator | M 0409 013 859 | P 07 4968 3893 | F 07 4968 3894
Mackay Community Mental Health, 2/14 Nelson Street, Mackay
Mackay needs more people to become LivingWorks ASIST or safeTALK Trainers
Click here for information