Joint initiative Grapevine Group, Run for MI Life, Lifeline and Mackay Cutters Change the Game are currently offering FREE safeTALK suicide alertness training to those living in Mackay region
WHY? Because currently there is one death from suicide every 3 to 4 hours and 1 attempt made in Australia every 8 minutes. Suicide is the leading killer of men and women under the age of 44. Currently the Mackay region has a higher than average suicide rate. Read more facts..
Help us make Mackay the most suicide-safe region
We ask you or your organisation to participate in suicide-prevention training that will..
- Increase awareness of suicide and see prevention opportunities which otherwise may be missed;
- Become more alert to clues and communications that someone may be thinking of suicide;
- Learn how to ask about suicide and respond in ways that show understanding and assess risk;
- Work with persons at risk to increase their safety;
- Facilitate links with further help from family, friends and professional helpers as needed.
Attend Grapevine’s Livingworks safeTALK workshops
Focus: Suicide Alertness
Timeframe: 3-3.5 hours
Cost: FREE. Grapevine Group currently sponsors suicide alertness training to those living in Mackay Region.
This program alerts community members to signs that a person may be considering suicide. It acknowledges that while most people at risk of suicide signal their distress & invite help, these intervention opportunities are often overlooked. Participants learn to recognise when someone may have thoughts of suicide & to respond in ways that link them with further suicide intervention help.
It is intended that safeTALK participants will be better prepared to:
- recognise that invitations to help are often overlooked;
- move beyond common tendencies to miss, dismiss and avoid suicide;
- notice and respond to situations in which thoughts of suicide may be present;
- apply basic TALK steps (Tell, Ask, Listen, and KeepSafe);
- connect the person with thoughts of suicide to suicide first aid help and further community resources. Suicide alert community members are better prepared to become a vital link in connecting persons at risk with further help.
Download the safeTALK information
Register in upcoming training
What other suicide-prevention training is available to you or your organisation in the Mackay & Region?
- Livingworks SuicideTALK (1 – 1.5 hours)
- Livingworks ASIST (2 consecutive days)
- Suicide Mythbusters (1 hour)
- Mental Health First Aid (Youth)
- Mental Health First Aid (Adult)
Suicide Intervention & Mental Health Training Providers
Contact The Following Organisations To Register For Upcoming Training:
COURSES: Livingworks safeTALK
Local residents can attend Grapevine’s safeTALK presentations for free.
CONTACT Belinda-Jane | Call 0413 507 683 | Email: email@example.com
Lifeline Mackay – Whitsunday
COURSES: Livingworks safeTALK | Livingworks ASIST & Mythbusters
Local residents can attend Lifeline’s safeTALK and Mythbusters presentations for free.
Learn more about Livingworks ASIST Click here.
CONTACT Dianne Gillespie | Call 4944 2300 | Email
COURSES: Mental Health First Aid (Youth) & Mental Health First Aid (Adult)
CONTACT: Kerry Clarkson | Service Integration Co-ordinator | M 0409 013 859 | P 07 4968 3893 | F 07 4968 3894
Mackay Community Mental Health, 2/14 Nelson Street, Mackay
Mackay needs more people to become LivingWorks ASIST or safeTALK Trainers
Click here for information